Monday, October 8, 2007

Who needs to see Maple leaves ?

Uncovering urban lifestyle, contemporary trends and other (Canadian) peculiarities from a totally biased and nonobjective European perspective. Infiltration, intrigues, wonder and more ...

“Cyril peered myopically at the \”Cock-A-Doodle-Doo\” in a heavy Gothic script. Somewhere in his tiny mad chicken mind a very distinct and chilly understanding formed that he'd better learn to read very, very quickly.” [1]


Pratchett's books in combination with Denny's food are somehow a great counter for hangovers. Hangovers come easily these days, all it takes is a couple of beers and my head feels like a wooden board with a serious case of woodworm. Denny's therefore has become one of those places which has a high probability of seeing me as a customer on Sunday mornings.


The Denny's at Davie is a very ordinary foodboer (*), filled with ordinary, mostly Caucasian people, eating very ordinary greasy dishes, served by Asian waiters and girls who didn't quite make it into the Cactus club (**). The interior is done by a designer inspired by the gray and brown 50s / 60s style that reigned supreme in American restaurants around that time.


gray and brown r0x0rz

“I'm like so full”, the chubby girl in the booth next to me whines to her friend. Nevertheless, in the same breath, she manages to stuff another greasy sausage and a big chunk of French bread with butter in her face. A slightly out-of-place Axl Rose comments over the speakers with a fitting “Welcome to the jungle baby”. The girl fails to notice this offhand irony and continues to ramble on how she's been playing hockey most of her life, but "omg" now she considers "like" quitting. Given the amount of food she continues to shove into her mouth, despite her being full, makes me wonder if that will do her already round figure much good... But as Axl states “You're a very sexy girl, that's very hard to please”.


An extremely refined and well kept lady enters Denny's. Followed by an incredible dorky looking, unkempt male. They take the booth across me. From what I can make out, the geekenstein proves to be her husband or lover, or very special friend who she likes to hold hands with in the Denny's. Whatever the case, it makes one wonder how some of these fine specimens of women end up with the most improbable doofballs ... Although some cases may be attributed to money, this one clearly doesn't. I should ask the SO sometimes, she'll probably can explain it from first hand experience.


on the lookout


“Are you done ?” the waitress with the eccentric hairdo demands to know.

“Done with everything except the coffee” I declare.

She nods and picks up my mug, plate, formerly filled with eggs, bacon and some French toast and sets off. After approximately one meter she halts and turns around.

“Sorry, what did you say ?” she likes to know.

Being well aware of my sometimes faster-than-light-mumbling-fashion of speech, I try in a clearer, slower way: “Yes I'm done, except for the coffee”.

She still looks puzzled.

“Me ... Done ... want coffee” I try.

“Oh okay, yes, I'm sorry, I'm French speaking”.

“No worries, no one is perfect” I offer with a smile “I'm Dutch”.

She seems to consider this for a moment, after which her memory prompts her to ask if I'd like more coffee. I tell her no thanks, I have enough material for my blog... more puzzled looks.


Content with a belly full of greasy substances, I set off to take a walk along the sea wall towards Stanley Park, hopefully burning some of that fat and making some pictures of the beautiful Vancouver Autumn scenery. A scenery which was originally the topic of this week's blog... But who needs pretty pictures of trees burning red when you have Denny's and Pratchet?


not the topic of this blog


(*) "Boer" literally means farmer in Dutch. Adding "boer" to a word usually indicates an establishment providing very common, unsophisticated goods or services, e.g. furnitureboer (IKEA) or consultancyboer (IBM).

(**) The Cactus club is a Yaletown Burgerboer that's known for its incredibly hot staff in short skirts. The male variant is rumored to make distinguished (female) lawyers wink involuntarily.

[1]Terry Pratchet, Reaper Man

book unrecommendation:

"How Ann Coulter is cute in the same way D.Duck is cute when he's angry and upset."


Giving it a away for free.

No comments: